Monday, October 20, 2008

What DWAA means to me

I was excited to join DWAA – joining the ranks of well known and respected dog writers like Carol Lea Benjamin – one of my dog training/writing heroines. I saw membership as a chance to bask in the reflected glory of outstanding writers, hopefully improve my own writing and get to meet and network with some of these writers.

Through DWAA I have gained resources on virtually every area of dogdom, made wonderful friends, gained co-authors and even gotten interviewed on various radio programs. I have been exposed to beautiful artwork, know some outstanding photographers and have heard many funny stories. DWAA can open doors and help you succeed in your writing goals.

I still consider it an honor to belong to DWAA but I think the organization needs to move forward into the new century. DWAA can no longer be an organization run by a few and kept somewhat insular. It needs some new ideas, some new enthusiasm and better use of the member talents. At the same time, DWAA needs to offer members very clear benefits.

As an organization of writers, as well as dog lovers, we need to offer open leadership, open debate on issues and access to Board members and Board actions. Members need and deserve to know about the decisions that the Board makes every month on their behalf.

At this time in my life I am quite comfortable with who I am and where I am. I don’t “need” to be president of DWAA. However, I think that right now, DWAA needs me and others like me who wish to open the organization up to the potential it has and truly make it a professional organization for ALL dog writers.

On a lighter note, I laugh when people talk about the quiet of the countryside. At 7 am today the cacophony from the thousands of Canadian geese in our neighbor's cornfield was almost deafening. Then came a low, thrumming, long note - the male donkey down the street calling to our girls. Wonderful, full of life noises - but definitely not quiet!

Deb E

No comments: