Monday, October 27, 2008

Members are the Organization and the Organization is the Membership

Many of us have been discussing some of the problems facing DWAA for more than a year; some for even longer. One thing that keeps popping up over and over again is that many members feel they have no place in DWAA. They feel that they don't matter; that DWAA doesn't need them; and even worse, that DWAA can't help them. Or won't help them.

That's really sad.

An organization such as DWAA survives with the success of its members. This is not an organization made up only of a few officers and board members; this is an organization with several hundred members. Each of whom should feel important and vital and necessary to the organization and each of whom should feel that DWAA has something to offer.

Making changes is hard. It will be difficult to incorporate changes into DWAA. Hopefully these coming elections will be the first step.

Establishing openness into the workings of DWAA will need to be the second step so that members can see what is being discussed, what the discussions consisted of, and how decisions are being made.

Involving additional members in the business of DWAA will probably be the third step. Many people have asked to involved and were told that their help was not needed. I know, myself, that many people are willing to help. This year was the first time that I had more people volunteer to serve as judges for our contest than I needed. Although many had served as judges previously, there were quite a few first time volunteers, too, and they did a wonderful job.

If DWAA is to continue to survive - and I hope it will - it must involve the membership and the membership must feel that DWAA cares about members.

As I said, the first step in the process is the upcoming election.

Liz

Liz Palika

2 comments:

Susan said...

I couldn't have said it better, Liz.

Anonymous said...

To me, DWAA is the PEOPLE. And that is where I hope I can be a good President if I am elected & put my time & energy into the people of our organization.