Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Slippery slopes

Whew! I am in upstate NY & currently we are "iced". I love snow, love grass, hate mud, but really, really hate ice!!! With ice, I worry about the animals (or me!) slipping & possibly injuring themselves. I hesitate to cross country ski for fear of injuries, especially if the dogs come with me - though realistically *I* am the one with the worst injury record.

It struck me today that our society is often "on ice". We walk a fine line between being a free society & being a safe society. We want information available but we are concerned about that information getting into the "wrong hands" or liability issues. We don't want limits on our own dogs but we also don't support true puppy mills - and sometimes the line is a finer distinction than you expect. So we tread carefully most of the time.

So, if we have to err, do we err on the side of providing more information & being more open or do we err to the side of secrecy? Which is the slipperier (is that a real word?!) slope?
Let me know what YOU think!
Deb E

No comments: