Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Now's your chance

If you haven't received your DWAA ballot, you will shortly. And when you do, you'll have your chance to speak up and say what direction you want your organization to proceed in.

What's most important, of course, is that you vote -- but of course (hey, who am I kidding?) I hope you vote for Deb for president, Liz for secretary and me for VP. I am so very proud to be running for office with these two accomplished dog writers. Deb is a compassionate and honored veterinarian, a skilled communicator and a passionate advocate of mentoring new members. Liz is a trainer par excellence, a prolific and honored writer, a second-to-none contest chair and a nationally recognized dog expert (as in, she's hosting a Washington Post webchat tomorrow on pet food. Yes, the Washington Post!) Both have served in dog clubs and have competed with their dogs. We are so very fortunate to have them in our ranks, and that they are willing to serve us even more than they already have.

So, where do I fit in here? I've been a dog writer since 1996, and a DWAA member since 1998. I've written about all sorts of dog-related topics in that time, and I've had the very good fortune of being honored for my work on occasion (not as much as Deb and Liz, though. I'll get there!). I've been a working wordsmith for 35 years. And I'm expanding my toolbox: starting next month, I'll also be working as an apprentice to Pat Miller, one of the best dog trainers in the U.S. I'll still be writing, though, and I'm still committed to serving this organization. It's been good to me, and I want to give something back -- by working with Deb and Liz to help DWAA be the best organization it can be for all those who share a passion for both dogs and for the written word.

If you have questions regarding the vote, ask us. If you have comments, feel free to comment on this blog. But most important of all, no matter whom you support, let your voice be heard. Vote!

Susan
susan.mccullough1@verizon.net

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ballot arrived yesterday. I voted last night and mailed it back today. I proudly voted for you. It was the official slate until the current president rejected it and the independent, duly appointed nominating committee. Then the current president appointed a new nominating committee in disregard of the By-laws. I am still stunned by his actions. I never expected a DWAA sitting president to behave in such a manner, to do something that is, essentially, illegal. I can not, in good conscience, vote for an illegal slate and a president who would behave in such a cavalier manner, so blatantly disregarding the rules of the organization.
I think it's time for a new start for DWAA. The reputation of members of the slate for whom I voted is exemplary and DWAA would certainly flourish under their leadership.

Susan said...

Thank you.