Friday, November 14, 2008

Leaving Behind a Legacy

One of my favorite authors passed away this past week. Michael Crichton was well known for many of his works, including "Jurassic Park", "Airframe", and a host of other best sellers. I never met Mr Crichton nor did I ever correspond with him but I certainly felt like I knew something of him through his work. He passed away much too young and I will miss the things he had yet to say and the stories he had yet to tell.

His passing brought to mind another author who was lost to us this year, Janet Kagan. She wrote science fiction short stories, an anthology of those stories, and two novels. She wasn't at all prolific - and in fact I emailed her about that one time, saying I was on pins and needles waiting for her next work. She was gracious enough to respond, had a wonderful sense of humor, and sent me a signed book plate to put in the cover of her book. Janet Kagan was a wonderful talent and every once in a while I dig out her books, "Mirabile" and "Hellspark" and re-read them.

Another of my favorite authors, Anne McCaffrey, is still with us - knock on wood - but she's in her mid to late 80s. Anne is very prolific and I think I have all 60 or so of her books - I haven't counted lately! Her son is now writing with her the worlds she has created and although he's talented, he's still learning and is yet to achieve the level of his mom. Anne has the ability to make the reader believe the science fiction worlds and characters she creates are real; she is wonderfully talented.

In thinking about these varied but talented people, I realized that writers are in a unique position. Although magazines come and go, and issues end up in the recycling bin; and books sell, stop selling, and go out of print; as writers the work we do will live on. I saw a copy of my very first book for sale on eBay for a whole lot of money - over $300 - and couldn't believe it. And someone bought it and it wasn't my parents!

Now granted, when I write I'm certainly not thinking about my legacy; I'm thinking about my audience: who will read this book and how can I best suit their needs.

But it is interesting to think that we - as writers - are in a unique position.

Food for thought.

Liz

Liz Palika

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night before the episode of ER began, one of the former actors (Eriq LaSalle) announced that Chrichton had died and how much he meant to them, and what they all owed him.

Anonymous said...

Deb, perhaps, knows this, but most of you do not. I recently was very close to "not being with us anymore." I try to keep my illness quiet.
My dogs, tho, always know. Before I go into a hospitalization, they know. When I come home they know to be gentler with me, and we enjoy our quiet time. Soon I hope to have the strength to walk them, to play, to begin their training again.
So when you think of what your legacy will be, what will you consider? The quiet or the storm?
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Linda Rehkopf