Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Therapy work

One of the most rewarding things I do & have done with my dogs is therapy work. We have visited psych wards, nursing homes, Alzheimer wards, preschools, kindergartens, high schools & schools for special needs students. Different dogs shone in different areas, but every one of them was happy to work wherever (I even had a Delta Society Cat!) I might add my kids have done therapy work since they were about 2 months old as well :))

Last Friday night, our local obed club was holding a TDI test. I offered to help test (I am an evaluator) if the other tester would do the 2 dogs in our household who still needed certifying. It turns out her Afghan needed testing too so it worked very well. The dogs were all very good (maybe because we were testing in a church!) The club's classes were going on sort of around us & there were people going through at various times with their dogs.

So now all 6 dogs in our household are certified therapy dogs with TDI. Hokey & Queezle were the two tested on Friday - both Belgian Tervurens. At home we also have another Terv, 2 Aus Shepherds & a Pem Corgi. Great dogs all!

If your dog is comfortable around people & enjoys mingling, can handle strange places & smells & is pretty unflappable, you may want to look into doing therapy work with him or her. Always keep on top of your dog's comfort (some nursing homes are WARM!) & stress level but this can be very rewarding for both of you.
My partner in crime Liz has done a great deal of therapy work also & Susan has written & worked with service & therapy dog people.
'Let us know your experiences!
Deb E

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My older Lab, Gracie, has taken up the therapy dog mantle passed on from our dear late Sam, the best dog in the world. :)
While Sam was much more comfortable in the nursing homes and Alzheimer's units, Gracie seems to do better with the "little folks," children. I think that's because her favorite thing to do is flop onto her back for a belly rub, and children are more likely to oblige.
My youngest dog, a 2-year old Lab, is way too young and, well, Lab-like, to be of any use in a therapy dog setting. She thinks the world should revolve around her, still. Maybe in a couple more years.
Animal-assisted therapy work is the most rewarding volunteer experience I have ever participated in, and I love to talk about this to anyone who will listen.
Linda Rehkopf

Susan said...

I would love to introduce my Golden girl, the divine Miss Allie, to therapy work. But although she is 6 years old and has her CGC, she's still incredibly exuberant around people, and I worry about whether she would be able to dial down that enthusiasm in a therapeutic setting.

That said, I have written quite a bit about therapy and assistance dogs and am in awe of the work that they and their handlers do -- which may be why I hesitate to employ Allie such a manner.

Liz Palika said...

Re: Susan and Allie.

Sometimes its finding the right venue for that enthusiasm. Riker, my now ten year old Aussie, is one of those warm, loving, affectionate, but energetic souls. So he visits an after school day care for kids in the foster system. They are usually psychologically wounded, don't always trust people, and often act out. But Riker loves them with abandon and they love him back.

One day when Riker and I arrived for a visit, the director met me in the parking lot and I though, "Uh oh." But she spoke to Riker - so I could hear, of course - "We have a new little girl for you to meet, Riker. She needs you." Grace (fake name) was a fetal alcohol baby, blind and deaf, although apparently quite bright. I was scared to death. Riker loves to give kisses and I was afraid he would try to slurp her and scare her. So I had a death grib on his ruff at the front of his neck while the director placed Grace's hand on Riker's coat. Grace laughed and at her laugh I must have relaxed because Riker turned around and slurped her a good one. Thankfully she continued to laugh. Within five minutes, she had Riker's leash and they were wandering around the play ground, Riker walking quite calmly, turning every once in a while to give her kisses!

Sigh.

Another time, I'll share Riker's experiences with my Dad as my Dad was dying. But it's still too fresh right now.

Riker is my eighth therapy dog. Bashir, my 4 year old, doesn't like strangers to pet him so he doesn't do the therapy dog work. But Archer, my 1 year old, has just started therapy dog training and I think he's going to enjoy it.

I am the founder of Love on a Leash. You can see it at www.loveonaleash.org.

Liz